Friday, February 21, 2014

Design Inspiration from an Old Friend

When Bug was born an old friend of mine named Katie sent me a couple of boxes of beautiful thank you cards from her new stationary line. Well, she just had her third baby. I'm so excited to finally be able to return the favor!

Katie and I are high school softball teammates. Here is a picture of us and the other two seniors on the team at our senior prom. That's me on the left with the blue dress. Katie is next to me in black. Don't we clean up nicely? It is tough to tell but we were on the field just hours before.


Like many of us with our high school friends, college and life got in the way of keeping in touch but facebook and motherhood reconnected us. A year ago, she posted this photo on facebook: 


Her daughter's pillow inspired some cards in her (then) upcoming spring line. Her picture inspired me too. I have been holding this idea in the back of my mind-until now. It is finally time for me to bring my idea to life. Here are the tees I made for her kiddos: 


I made Madeline's a little more girlie with a turquoise tee and coral fish...


...and made the brothers' shirts using a light blue tee and orange fish.


With Owen's tee, I decided to experiment with the placement of his name. Which do you like? The name in the middle, like Madeline's or off to the right like Owen's?

I've never been a huge fan of onesies (all those snaps) so with Colin's I thought I would try the lap shoulder tee.


I love the way they turned out! I may have to make a version for Bug and her cousins or a BFF version. What do you think?


4 comments:

  1. Awe! That is so sweet of you. Those are so adorable and I am sure the kids will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Adin! :) I hope the kids have as much fun wearing them as I had making them.

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love this! The kids love the shirts so much. I can't thank you enough! I'll snap a picture of the three of them and send it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie!! I'm so glad you like the tees. No rush on the pic. Just get some sleep! :)

      Delete